Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and

From: Patrik Dufresne
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Future of rdiff-backup: Python 3 migration and project maintainership in general
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 17:57:44 -0400

Hi Otto,

I'm the software developer behind rdiffweb and Minarca (with a new release
to be coming soon with self-hosted feature). While I have not contribute
alot to rdiff-backup, I want to contribute to add new feature to make
rdiffweb and Minarca better and faster. As of now, it's relatively hard for
me:
1. Pull request are not merged
2. Many patches release 10 year ago are still not in master !
3. I don't see any automated build put in place for master. I recently
build a CICD pipeline on my own to fix a bug on Windows.
https://git.patrikdufresne.com/pdsl/rdiff-backup-build

>From my understanding sol1 was taking the maintainer-ship of the project,
they have done some preliminary work, but nothing serious in term of
release or pull request. Which is a bit disappointing.

If we plan to have yet another maintainer, I would love if we can avoid
making the same mistake again. rdiff-backup is an opensource project and
many people from various companies (including mine) have insensitive to
work on it. People are coming and leaving relatively fast and moving
everything to a different repository every time doesnt' seams to be the
solution. I would recommend to create a new repository which is not related
to any companies. Let name it "rdiff-backup". So basically, something
acessible from https://github.com/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup or similar. And
let have people from various place be the maintainers with a code review
process or something similar.
That should allow everyone to have a relatively stable place where to look
for the rdiff-backup source code instead of guessing the branches as of
today.

Would also love to see the website taken down and migrated to github wiki
or github pages.

As of now, I'm relatively busy working on Minarca and rdifweb. I have no
time to work on rdiff-backup but I will soon turn my attention on it.

Before moving forward with this, I would appreciate to have feedback from
sol1. After all they are the maintainer today.

--
Patrik Dufresne Service Logiciel inc.
http://www.patrikdufresne.com <http://patrikdufresne.com/>/