Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Broken rdiff-backup on Fedora 11

From: John Jason Jordan
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Broken rdiff-backup on Fedora 11
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 14:14:36 -0800

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:22:13 -0500
"R. David Murray" <address@hidden> dijo:

>On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 20:23:57 -0800, John Jason Jordan
><address@hidden> wrote:
>> #!/bin/bash
>> sudo rdiff-backup
>> --include-globbing-filelist /home/jjj/rdiff_excludes.txt /
>> /media/Backups/Full_system_backup_Fedora
>> 2> /home/jjj/rdiff-errors.txt sudo rdiff-backup
>> 2> --list-increment-sizes /media/Backups/Full_system_backup_Fedora
>> 2> > /home/jjj/rdiff-stats.txt
>[...]
>> It is interesting that pybackpack runs fine. My understanding is that
>> it is just a GUI front end for rdiff-backup, so why does it work and
>> rdiff-backup does not work from the command line?

>Well, that bash script didn't survive the cut and paste either, so
>I'm sure exactly what it actually says.

OK, let me try to paste it here again.

#!/bin/bash
sudo rdiff-backup --include-globbing-filelist /home/jjj/rdiff_excludes.txt /
/media/Backups/Full_system_backup_Fedora 2> /home/jjj/rdiff-errors.txt
sudo rdiff-backup --list-increment-sizes
/media/Backups/Full_system_backup_Fedora > /home/jjj/rdiff-stats.txt

I turned off autowrapping in my compose window, but in case it wraps it
is three lines. The second line starts with sudo and ends with
rdiff-errrors.txt. The third line starts with sudo and ends with
rdiff-stats.txt.

>If pybackpack does use rdiff-backup under the covers and you can back
>up files with it, then your rdiff-backup installation would appear to
>be correct.  (You should double check that you only have one copy of
>rdfiff-backup on the system, in case pybackpack is using a different
>one from the one you get when you run the command from the command
>line.) So one suspects the problem is with the bash script somehow, or
>with the repository you are manipulating if it is different from the
>one pybackpack is using.
>
>Have you tried running rdiff-backup directly from the command line
>doing something simple like just viewing the help output?  And
>then try the commands from the bash script individually, and/or
>other rdiff-backup commands that just read from the repository.

Thanks for the above suggestions. I ran a simple copy of one folder to
the Backups disk mounted at /media/Backups and the command did as
it was supposed to without error. Therefore, I must conclude that
there is something wrong with the script.

This script ran fine on Ubuntu Jaunty which was the last time I ran it.
I bought a new hard disk for my computer (Thinkpad T61) and installed
Fedora 11 x86_64 on it, and put the hard disk with Jaunty on the shelf.
I have a third hard disk for backups that I place in the Ultrabay adapter
which I can swap with the DVD drive. On this disk there is a folder
"Full_system_backup_Jaunty." I created a new folder "Full_system_backup_Fedora"
and then modified the script so it would write to the new folder.
Other than changing the destination folder I made no other changes
to the script. However, I also modified my rdiff_excludes.txt file by adding
"- *.iso" and "- /home/jjj/Azureus Downloads/".

I'll paste the errors again here. Maybe they'll be easier to read without
autowrapping:

address@hidden ~]$ ./rdiff-backup_script
[sudo] password for jjj:
Exception 'list index out of range' raised of class '<type
'exceptions.IndexError'>':
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 304, in
error_check_Main
    try: Main(arglist)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 324, in
Main
    take_action(rps)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 287, in
take_action
    elif action == 'list-increment-sizes': ListIncrementSizes(rps[0])
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 746, in
ListIncrementSizes
    print manage.ListIncrementSizes(restore_root, restore_index)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/manage.py", line 202,
in ListIncrementSizes
    triples = get_summary_triples(mirror_total, time_dict)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/rdiff_backup/manage.py", line 179,
in get_summary_triples
    mirror_time = restore.get_inclist(cur_mir_base)[0].getinctime()

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/rdiff-backup", line 30, in <module>
    rdiff_backup.Main.error_check_Main(sys.argv[1:])
[...]
IndexError: list index out of range

I'm still stumped, but at least now it appears the problem is in
the script and not in rdiff-backup.

Thanks for your suggestions. :)