Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Broken rdiff-backup on Fedora 11

From: R. David Murray
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Broken rdiff-backup on Fedora 11
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:22:13 -0500

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 20:23:57 -0800, John Jason Jordan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sorry for the formatting. Hard to copy and paste from the command line.
>
> My script is:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> sudo rdiff-backup
> --include-globbing-filelist /home/jjj/rdiff_excludes.txt /
> /media/Backups/Full_system_backup_Fedora
> 2> /home/jjj/rdiff-errors.txt sudo rdiff-backup
> 2> --list-increment-sizes /media/Backups/Full_system_backup_Fedora
> 2> > /home/jjj/rdiff-stats.txt
[...]
> It is interesting that pybackpack runs fine. My understanding is that
> it is just a GUI front end for rdiff-backup, so why does it work and
> rdiff-backup does not work from the command line?

Well, that bash script didn't survive the cut and paste either, so
I'm sure exactly what it actually says.

If pybackpack does use rdiff-backup under the covers and you can back
up files with it, then your rdiff-backup installation would appear to
be correct.  (You should double check that you only have one copy of
rdfiff-backup on the system, in case pybackpack is using a different one
from the one you get when you run the command from the command line.)
So one suspects the problem is with the bash script somehow, or with
the repository you are manipulating if it is different from the one
pybackpack is using.

Have you tried running rdiff-backup directly from the command line
doing something simple like just viewing the help output?  And
then try the commands from the bash script individually, and/or
other rdiff-backup commands that just read from the repository.

--
R. David Murray                                      www.bitdance.com
Business Process Automation - Network/Server Management - Routers/Firewalls