Re: [rdiff-backup-users] bug/crash on read-only file in incremental back

From: Marco Perego
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] bug/crash on read-only file in incremental backup
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:15:17 +0100

Hi Andrew,

after installing the Visual C++ Redistributable package now all the binaries >=1.2.3 are working properly (at least on the XP Guest).

I've done some testing with versions 1.2.3pre2 and 1.2.3pre3 and the bug regarding read-only files seems to be fixed :)

However, on both versions there is a problem with read-only directories: when on Linux we have a read-only dir (o-w is enough), on the Windows side the dir is created and all its content is created and updated correctly on subsequent backups (even read-only files). Then, if you try to rename or remove the source dir and perform another backup, an "Access denied" error is risen. If you don't rename or remove but instead you play with adding/removing permissions from the source dir and perform subsequent backups, all seems to work.

Test case to reproduce:
- mkdir dir
- chmod 577 dir (just to test the most "relaxed" permissions: only the owner doesn't have "w" flag)
- Run rdiff-backup (1.2.3pre2 or 1.2.3pre3)
- mv dir dir2
- Re-run rdiff-backup

All the testings are done with root user.

Thank you,
Marco