Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error: Mac OS X -> Linux

From: Corey Puffalt
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error: Mac OS X -> Linux
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 23:01:02 -0700

Chris,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

On 2/6/07, Chris Wilson <address@hidden> wrote:
Have you done it just once before to this location?

I have backed up the laptop to this location about three times before.

> Exception '[Errno 13] Permission denied:
> '/mnt/backup/ibookbackups/private/var/db/Spotlight-V100/%2FVolumes%2Fftpmirror.sectoor.de''
> raised of class 'exceptions.OSError':

What are the permissions on that directory? rdiff-backup has some problems
with directories with weird permissions like d--x------, because it
mirrors those permissions in the repository, and then finds that it can't
access the directory on the next run.

The permissions on the backup side don't look problematic:

drwx------   2 corey corey 4096 Jun 27  2006 %2FVolumes%2Fftpmirror.sectoor.de

On my laptop the permissions look slightly different (could it be the x bit is the problem?):

drw-------    2 root  wheel   68 Jun 27  2006 %2FVolumes%2Fftpmirror.sectoor.de

Is the issue with permissions a known issue that is being worked on or should I create a bug report?

That was the error on the local side, the trace above was the error
reported by the remote side before it died. So yes, it is a red herring.
Try --check-destination-dir on the repository to fix it.

Thanks for that tip.  I will try that.  This does cause me quite a bit of concern over the stability of rdiff-backup.

Corey