Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error: Mac OS X -> Linux

From: Chris Wilson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup error: Mac OS X -> Linux
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:35:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Corey,

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007, Yeroc wrote:

I just tried backing up my iBook (OS X v10.4.8) to a Linux (RHEL4) file
server.  Although I've done this successfully in the past this time I got
the following errors:

Have you done it just once before to this location?

Exception '[Errno 13] Permission denied:
'/mnt/backup/ibookbackups/private/var/db/Spotlight-V100/%2FVolumes%2Fftpmirror.sectoor.de''
raised of class 'exceptions.OSError':

What are the permissions on that directory? rdiff-backup has some problems with directories with weird permissions like d--x------, because it mirrors those permissions in the repository, and then finds that it can't access the directory on the next run.

So it seems the "Fatal Error: Lost connection to the remote system" message is a bit of a red herring. At this point I have no idea how to resolve this issue.

That was the error on the local side, the trace above was the error reported by the remote side before it died. So yes, it is a red herring. Try --check-destination-dir on the repository to fix it.

Cheers, Chris.
--