Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 25gig files

From: Joe Baker
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 25gig files
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 10:03:59 -0500

May I suggest that you might want to try some other technique for backing up
a 25 gig file?

Maybe using LVM  and "snapshot" techniques.  I cannot say that I've ever
implemented them myself, but it would seem to be a better way of being
able to get a consistant backup of a file that could change before you
even finish backing it up.

You might check out the good folks over at the
Enterprise Volume Management System project:
http://evms.sourceforge.net/

My couriousity is peaked wondering what a 25 gigabyte file would contain.

Joe Baker
Network Administrator
NEL Frequency Controls, Inc.

Clint Silvester wrote:
dean gaudet wrote:

is this with librsync 0.9.6 or librsync 0.9.7?  0.9.6 has known problems
with files >= 4GiB.

also if it's linux you need to ensure that everything is built with
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 (which it typically is on recent enough distros).

-dean