Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 25gig files

From: Clint Silvester
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] 25gig files
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 19:26:59 -0600

dean gaudet wrote:

>is this with librsync 0.9.6 or librsync 0.9.7?  0.9.6 has known problems
>with files >= 4GiB.
>
>also if it's linux you need to ensure that everything is built with
>-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 (which it typically is on recent enough distros).
>
>-dean
>
>On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Clint Silvester wrote:
>

>>Has anyone looked at the problem when working on files larger than
>>25Gig?  Previous messages about this problem were titled "error 107" and
>>"librsync error 107 while in patch cycle" it looks like a problem with
>>librsync.  I get this error
>>
>>python: ERROR: (rs_job_iter) internal error: job made no progress
>>[orig_in=129238, orig_out=65536, final_in=129238, final_out=65536]
>>UpdateError TWDOCS2001.adm librsync error 107 while in patch cycle
>>

>>The orig_out and final_out look like something isn't keeping enough
>>precision (only 16 bit?) to store the needed amount of
>>segments/blocks/whatever that represents.  Anybody have an idea about this?
>>
>>Clint Silvester

Sorry, I sent this offlist, Dean.  I'm resending to the list now, too.

This is with 0.9.7, but I don't see it using that in any of the gcc
commands when it's compiling.  The configure script says

checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
... and further down
checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... no

Does that look right?
I can successfully backup files less than 25G.  6 gig, 10 gig 15 gig all
work fine.  Something just goes wrong at ~25 gig.

I've just recompiled making sure the whole thing used -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 by
running
CC="gcc -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" ./configure --prefix=/usr etc. and still after
testing this i got the error

python: ERROR: (rs_job_iter) internal error: job made no progress
[orig_in=84948, orig_out=65536, final_in=84948, final_out=65536]
UpdateError TWDOCS2002.adm librsync error 107 while in patch cycle
Anyone tried doing 25gig+ files with this?  The initial backup works fine, but
trying to run it again to get the differences fails.  Maybe I'll take my
vacation soon and I can look at the code then.  I've tried understanding what
librsync is doing, but I am a novice programmer at best so it will probably
take me some time.

Clint Silvester