Re: [Ranger-users] Video files: thumbnail previews

From: Germain Zouein
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Video files: thumbnail previews
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 06:28:28 +0300

On 07/29/2013 03:44 AM, Joshua Landau wrote:
On 28 July 2013 23:24, Joshua Landau <address@hidden> wrote:
On 28 July 2013 23:05, Germain Zouein <address@hidden> wrote:
I think I'll use ffmpegthumbnailer (http://code.google.com/p/ffmpegthumbnailer/) instead of ffmpeg. It looks pretty neat, is (much) faster than what I'm currently doing, can seek to a percentage of time (e.g. 10% of the video). Other FMs use that (e.g. Thunar) so I guess it's rather reliable. Can you try that and let me know how fast it is?
Something like this (you can use `time` to time it if you want ): `ffmpegthumbnailer -i <path to video file> -o <output path> -s 0`

+1

It's a *touch* faster, which makes sense as it's just a less-hacky way of doing the same thing. That's especially good, though, as it defaults to 10% of the way in. It's another (optional) dependency, though.

Despite swearing I wouldn't be helpful, here's something that works for me (this goes in core/actions.py [you knew that]).
This works a lot more reliably than the current version, and works for pager-previews or whatever the thing you get when pressing "i" is termed.
Thanks, I modified it a bit and it does indeed fix pager previews (and probably other things, as you said). The latest commit should also the preview pane not appearing in some cases (I was forgetting to set the foundpreview key).
If you want to set silent=True, you have to change the "if self.silent and not self.read:" part of core/loader.py to:
I've kept it as it is for the moment, as I'm not sure if it will affect anything else that uses loader.py (and I'd rather not set silent to False). I'll try looking into it tomorrow. Any particular file that causes this?