Re: [Ranger-users] Video files: thumbnail previews

From: Germain Zouein
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Video files: thumbnail previews
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:15:27 +0300

On 07/25/2013 09:55 PM, Roman Z. wrote:
On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 06:53:28PM +0300, Germain Zouein wrote:
Fiddled with it a bit more. It now caches the thumbnails (to /tmp/)
instead of regenerating them every time. It probably needs (a lot?)
more work, but if anyone wants video thumbnail previews, it's
definitely usable as is.
Patch: http://sprunge.us/IIGK

Also, to answer my previous questions... Simply put, the generation
of previews should happen in actions.py. browsercolumn.py (and
others) simply call that.
This sounds very awesome.  I'm on a tight schedule atm so I can't test
it yet, but if it works well, I will add this to the master branch.

hut

It's not fully ready yet. As niku said, there's no error handling whatsoever (corrupted videos, unsupported types... will all fail miserably; not sure about <10s videos). Also, a bunch of 'triggers' are missing, so the thumbnail previews won't display if the pane is collapsed, if the folder is refreshed, etc. I'd also like to have a separate option for video previews instead of using the already exiting one. I'll try to further improve it, and I'll send another patch when it's ready - or would you prefer a pull request on github instead?

@ niku
Thanks for the patch. I'll look into avconv as well.