Re: [Ranger-users] Video files: thumbnail previews

From: niku
Subject: Re: [Ranger-users] Video files: thumbnail previews
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:55:06 +0530

> @ niku
> avconv is broken for my distro and I don't have the time to look
> into it right now. Could you please test if the same syntax works
> for it (replacing 'ffmpeg' with 'avconv')? I think I'll add another
> setting for that.

The options of ffmpeg and avconv are supposed to be exactly the same,
except that for avconv you need to follow the correct order strictly.
However, if I substitute `avconv' for `ffmpeg' in your command, avconv
extracts the beginning frame, not the frame around the 10th second,
which ffmpeg extracts.

ffmpeg -itsoffset -10 -i input.wmv -vframes 1 -y /tmp/ffmpeg-its.png
       --> gets the frame at around 10s
avconv -itsoffset -10 -i input.wmv -vframes 1 -y /tmp/avconv-its.png
       --> gets the first frame

However, have you tried the option `-ss'? `-ss 10' substituted for
`-itsoffset -10', produces the desired result with both ffmpeg and
avconv.  Further, on my system, it works much faster. With -itsoffset,
ffmpeg takes 1.80s to extract the frame at 10s. With -ss, ffmpeg takes
just 0.08s to extract the same frame! Also, the manpages of both
ffmpeg and avconv seem to suggest the use of -ss for extracting
images:

           If you want to extract just a limited number of
           frames, you can use the above command in combination
           with the -vframes or -t option, or in combination with
           -ss to start extracting from a certain point in time.

ffmpeg -ss 10 -i input.wmv -vframes 1 -y /tmp/ffmpeg-its.png
avconv -ss 10 -i input.wmv -vframes 1 -y /tmp/ffmpeg-its.png
       --> both the commands get the frame at around 10s.

       Note the `10', instead of the `-10' with -itsoffset.