qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] Status of MacOS boot support

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Status of MacOS boot support
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:43:39 -0500

On Nov 25, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Vincent Habchi wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 25 nov. 2012, at 21:24, Programmingkid <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Currently OpenBIOS can't boot Mac OS X. We have made progress in the last
>> few months. It starts to boot, but stops before it gets very far. My report
>> only pertains to the PowerPC versions, so I don't know about the x86
>> versions.
>
> PowerPC is indeed what I am interested in. In my case, I just can’t get
> beyond the OpenBIOS prompt: I can’t seem to have BootX loaded and launched.
> How do you prepare your bootable image?

I actually just use a Mac OS 10.2 install CD.

> Thereafter, I could see if the open sourced version of MacOS gets further
> than the commercial kit.
>
> Thanks for your answer!
> Vincent
>
> PS: I assume the problem lies in the way hardware is emulated, isn’t it?

Actually, it might be both a problem with firmware and emulated hardware. I am
only able to go as far as I do in booting Mac OS X because I applied a bunch of
patches to OpenBIOS. If you want to tune in to progress with OpenBIOS, I
suggest you join the mailing list. Just recently, several patches were
committed that pertain to booting Mac OS X.

Here are some screenshots of Mac OS X booting in QEMU:
http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7047