qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] Status of MacOS boot support

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Status of MacOS boot support
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 15:24:26 -0500

On Nov 25, 2012, at 12:00 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Hi folks!

I just would like to know what is the current support of MacOS booting with OpenBIOS; I can?t seem to find a definitive answer: some message say it won?t boot, other claim the contrary.

More specifically, I need to boot xnu-ppc kernels corresponding to MacOS releases 10.5.8 and 10.6.8 (the latter being available only from sources). I have prepared a suitable file with blessed /System/Library/CoreOSServices/BootX, but with Qemu 1.2.1 the boot process hangs (I have the banner of the OpenBIOS firmware, then nothing more happens).

Is there an alternate way to boot, or is Qemu at that time not able to bring a Leopard or Snow-Leopard system up?

Thanks a lot!
Vincent

Currently OpenBIOS can't boot Mac OS X. We have made progress in the last few months. It starts to boot, but stops before it gets very far. My report only pertains to the PowerPC versions, so I don't know about the x86 versions.

OpenBIOS would not be used to boot x86 versions of Mac OS X. I'm guessing a PC BIOS or EFI firmware would boot these OS's.