qemu-devel

Re: [RFC 1/1] acceptance tests: rename acceptance to system

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/1] acceptance tests: rename acceptance to system
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 19:14:27 +0200

On 21/05/2021 16.29, Peter Maydell wrote:
On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 15:19, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <f4bug@amsat.org> wrote:
If you think these tests belong to tests/tcg/, I am OK to put
them they, but I don't think adding the Avocado buildsys
machinery to the already-complex tests/tcg/ Makefiles is going
to help us...

This does raise the question of what we're actually trying
to distinguish. It seems to me somewhat that what tests/acceptance/
actually contains that makes it interestingly different from other
tests/ stuff is that it's specifically "tests using the Avocado
framework". On that theory we might name it tests/avocado/.

I think there are two aspects:

1) These tests are using the avocado framework

2) These tests are downloading other stuff from the internet (unlike the other tests that we have)

Or we could just leave it as it is -- is the current naming
actually confusing anybody? :-)

Yes, I think "acceptance" is rather confusing. So far they haven't been part of your PR acceptance tests (well, now they are part of the gitlab-CI, though), and it's also not about tests that have been set up by customers, which is what you normally think of when hearing "acceptance tests". So a different name would be adequate.

I think I'd vote for either "avocado", "avoqado" or "validation".

 Thomas