qemu-devel

Re: [RFC 1/1] acceptance tests: rename acceptance to system

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/1] acceptance tests: rename acceptance to system
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 14:42:26 +0200

On 21/05/2021 14.28, Willian Rampazzo wrote:
On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 4:16 AM Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
Alternatively, what about renaming the "acceptance" tests to "validation"
instead? That word does not have a duplicated definition in the context of
QEMU yet, so I think it would be less confusing.

While at the beginning of your reply, I started thinking if
"validation" would cause less confusion for the QEMU project. Although
validation testing is a broader concept inside the Verification &
Validation process, encompassing unit testing, functional testing,
integration testing, system testing, and acceptance testing, it may be
an option for the QEMU project.

While system testing would be the correct terminology to use, if it
causes more confusion, using a less strict terminology, like
validation testing, is valid, in my opinion.

<semi-homorous-friday-bikeshedding>
Or we could come up with a new, artificial name instead (like "qtests"). It certainly need a "q" in the name. For example what about:

- avoqado
- valiqation
- aqueptance
- inteqration