qemu-devel

Re: [RFC 1/1] acceptance tests: rename acceptance to system

From: Willian Rampazzo
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/1] acceptance tests: rename acceptance to system
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 12:12:38 -0300

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 11:29 AM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2021 at 15:19, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <f4bug@amsat.org> wrote:
> > If you think these tests belong to tests/tcg/, I am OK to put
> > them they, but I don't think adding the Avocado buildsys
> > machinery to the already-complex tests/tcg/ Makefiles is going
> > to help us...
>
> This does raise the question of what we're actually trying
> to distinguish. It seems to me somewhat that what tests/acceptance/
> actually contains that makes it interestingly different from other
> tests/ stuff is that it's specifically "tests using the Avocado
> framework". On that theory we might name it tests/avocado/.

I think the updated README.rst from this RFC, inside the system
(originally acceptance) folder, is a good description of what these
tests should be: "This directory contains system tests. They're
usually higher level, and may interact with external resources and
with various guest operating systems." I can improve it, if needed.

We are using Avocado Framework as a tool to accomplish the above
description, but I don't think we should strictly use it if there is
another way to accomplish what those tests are supposed to be. Calling
them "avocado" tests may restrict the intent of them, in my opinion.