pspp-users

Re: Re: My two cents

From: unknown-1
Subject: Re: Re: My two cents
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:37:51 +0100

>I don't know if PSPP has participated in google summer of code before, but if
>not, that may be an interesting way to attract new and eager young developers
>- who may turn into
>active long term developers.

For some time I think at this option too. But for the summer-of-code
the project needs mentors who help the students and have a look at
there results etc.. If this is again the development team, this
wouldn't help much.

As for the project itself I don't see a reason why PSPP could not
become on the list for a summer-of-code project. As far as I can see,
what is needed is:
- a mentoring organisation
- a list of ideas from which the students can pick an idea and make a proposal

As the GNU project was accepted for the summer-of-code 2009 I guess it
should be possible to have PSPP participating in 2010 as part of the
GNU project.

Questions for the list:
- Is the PSPP community willing/able  to setup a mentoring team and a
list of ideas?
- Is there somebody who has the time and the skills to organize this
without falling back on the development team?

Some background
- The mentor doesn't have to live on the same continent as the student
- The payment for  the mentor is almost zero, this is clearly a volunteer job
- The payment for a student could in 2009 be a maximum of USD 4500,-

Have fun