pspp-users

Importing data from other file formats than .sav

From: Erik Frebold
Subject: Importing data from other file formats than .sav
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:12:45 -0800 (PST)

We advertise that pspp "interoperates with a variety of programs such as
(Gnumeric) and OpenOffice.org".
I'm having a bit of difficulty getting this to happen. What I'd like to do is
get pspp to read data files output from simple python modules. Thus far, I've
been trying to use psppire's "import delimited text data" function. Have saved
small test files variously as .txt, .csv, or as a .csv with python-added commas
between values. In all cases the data look fine in the home program, and also
look fine in psppire's import function right up to the last step "ok",
whereupon they produce multiple errors of the type: "dataSet.csv:1: data file
warning: (columns 1-0, F field) Number followed by garbage." Only when each
data value is separated from the next by a comma (and no spaces or carriage
returns) do I escape these errors, but then each datum heads its own variable
column in psppire.
Meanwhile, same file saved as .ods (open document format spreadsheet) or as a
Gnumeric spreadsheet import to psppire as what I would term heiroglyphics,
probably pspp valiantly trying to cope with XML. I see the GET DATA command in
the pspp syntax has a gnumeric import option, but there doesn't seem to be a
similar openOffice option.
Perhaps the way to tackle this is to use a pspp syntax window with "BEGIN DATA"
and "DATA LIST" or "GET DATA"? (on some sort of .csv or .txt file?) Does pspp
require each imported datum to be exactly the same length (i.e. same precision)?
A few suggestions to set me on the right track would be helpful as I've run out
of ideas.
Small sample file attached in case that helps.