Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Help with IMAP auth

From: Jeremy Oddo
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Help with IMAP auth
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:14:43 -0700 (PDT)

> Jeremy Oddo <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> OK, I know this has been covered before, but I'm having problems with
>> IMAP authing.  I've followed the HOW-TO but I'm still stuck.  I've got
>> a couple questions.  First, it says to make an account to match my
>> account on my mail server.  Does that mean "address@hidden" or just
>> "user"?  If it's just "user" then I need to be able to put the domain
>> name in the drop-down list.  How do I go about that?  Finally, I'm
>> using courier-IMAP...has anyone successfully gotten IMAP authing to
>> work with courier?
>
> You can configure email/felamimail to use vmailmgr authentication.
Yeah, I can use vmailmgr auth, but I'm not using vmailmgr!  I'm running
qmail+vpopmail+courier.  I'm *not* using vmailmgr...but do I need to use
that auth method?  If so, the "vmailmgr" method should be renamed to
reduce confusion.

> That
> means, that if your username is "joe" and the email-domain is "foo.bar",
> email/felamimail send "address@hidden" as username.

Let's not even get into email/felamimail...let's just talk about the
initial login authentication (even though I wasn the initial auth to
connect to IMAP).  For the main phpgw login, do I put "address@hidden" or do
I need to put "foo.bar" into the domain picklist and then just use "joe"?

> But if your imap server just want "joe" as username, then just disable
> vmailmgr authentication.

It requires the full "address@hidden".  So, do I need to use vmailmgr even
though I'm not using vmailmgr?!

> email/felamimail send the username/password used to log into phpgw to
> the imap server, until the user defines his own username/password in his
> preferences.

I don't want the user to be able to define his own username/password...I
want it to come from the IMAP server.  If the user's name is "joe" from
the "foo.bar" domain, then I want him to log in as "address@hidden" (which is
authenticated via the IMAP server).  I'm planning on writing a hack so
that if you change the password from phpgw, it actually changes the user's
email password via IMAP.

Thanks for the help!
Jeremy