Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Howto optimize phpgw for speed

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Howto optimize phpgw for speed
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 10:02:33 -0800

phpGW is not the speediest app it can be. Many have offered suggestions on what can be done to help in various config settings (I hope we remember to collect these for our FAQ). I just want to also point out that performance is a major focus of the next version. In some things we may not be able to fix the performance issues, and may even make parts slower. But overall performance is a major concern to us and is something we are going to work hard to fix. One of the solutions is the new XSLT based templating system. XSLT has a chance to make major performance improvements because the rendering is now done in PHP's C code and not with a series of regular expressions. We also have the ability to offload rendering to the browser and spare the server this processing load. This can be done with users that have very current browsers like IE6 and Mozilla 1.2. Both these browsers have good XSLT engines built into them. So we simply send them the data as XML and point to the XSL location. The browser will then go get the xsl file(s) and render the page... taking all of this load from the server.

This is only one of the ways we will be working to improve performance, but I think it examples that we are looking outside of the box and into various new techniques to solve our issues.

Dan

Magnus Nilsson wrote:
I have been using pgphw for some time, mostly the email and calendar
application.
I´m very happy with the applications but some thing is slow.

How do I speed up application access in phpGW?
What is the optimal settings in php.ini

My system is almost stock RH7.3 with some updates.
I use IMAP (dbmail),
php version is 4.1.2 (will upgrade to 4.2x make speed any different?)
and apache 1.3.23
This runs on a PIII 866MHz machine with h/w raid and 512MB RAM.

/Magnus

--
Magnus Nilsson
Sweden Infrastructure & Management Solutions AB