Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Howto optimize phpgw for speed

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Howto optimize phpgw for speed
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 14:47:15 +0000

Idealy, the fastest setup would be to use php4 sessions, SQL auth/accounts, and
disable the NTP option in phpgw.  Also disable the "check for new version"
and "show online users" options.  You can also reduce downlaod and render time
by
using a lighter template and using the "text only" option for the app icons.  I
use
the Linux at Work template wich is designed for text only because I'm using
phpgw
over a shared 256k link and it really helps.

Outside of that, I don't think that php4.2 is much faster than 4.1, if any at
all.
You sould make use of 'top' and see if you are maybe running into swap when
under
load, which will make a server much slower.  If you are you can tweak apache's
maxchild and other related settings to make sure it doesn't send you swapping.
Also, there is a lot you can do to tune apache from the default "works for
everone"
settings.  Start by figuring out what each of the loaded modules do and disable
the
ones you don't have a use for.