Re: [Phpgroupware-users] datetime class problems....

From: Tony Howden
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] datetime class problems....
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:25:43 +0000

Hi Mark & All

Part 1. Information on time servers

For a good list of world-wide ntp servers that are publicly accessible

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2.htm

For Australia
Melbourne :   time.esec.com.au, time.deakin.edu.au
Adelaide  :   ntp.saard.net

Part 2. Observations.....

Can I ask for some clarification of the purpose of the time sync ?

If I am understanding this at all, the reason we would like to sysnc the server
with gmt +/-tz is to ensure that the phpgw entries have the correct time
associated.

It would seem to me that this is only relevant where the phpgw server will
interact
with the real world. As Chris has suggested, a test server may be established
that
would not be affected by the actual time. It is really only imperative that the
entries within the phpgw databases and the email stores maintain a consistent
relative time, i.e. if the date/time is out by a week, month, or year it
shouldn't
matter as long as there is consistency within itself.

If the sysadmin 'wants' to sync time then that process should be done as a part
of
that role, rather than by phpgw. Note that this does not prevent phpgw providing
facilities for this function, however in that case the sysadmin must be able to
choose to do that configuration via phpgw or not.

If the issue is to provide for multiple phpgw servers across various tz's to
sync
and verify against each other, or for client's in different tz's to see the
server
time and the relative local time, then the nomination of a time source or master
should be selected by the sysadmin. Any phpgw server can then 'know' that for
the
purpose of time it will look at the nominated time source(s).

As such I would see the time service configured by options: to use local system
settings; refer to another phpgw server - ip or fqdn; or conduct ntp(123) or
daytime
(13) queries on an external server.

In any case this process of time sync'ing should not be conducted via time
lookups
with every page load (which it appears to be doing, although I haven't delved
deeply into it).

Comments please....

cheers
Tony