Re: [Paparazzi-devel] New GPS for centimeter level precision GPS

From: Ben Laurie
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] New GPS for centimeter level precision GPS
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:37:41 +0000

On 13 November 2013 09:55, Karoly Molnar <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi
>
> IMHO, USD 500 is rather steep price for a GPS.
>
> I have a second-hand information about a cheaper alternative. Once I had a
> discussion with a vendor who is developing a data logger /live video capture
> / gps capture solution for the automotive market. Due to the nature of this
> business they are testing their solution with as much GPS recivers as they
> find around the world. They have noted that the accuracy of the GPS
> solutions vary significantly on each market. The most accurate GPS receivers
> they have worked with were available for the South Korean internal market.
> As they said, those were in the 10cm accuracy range. I did not explore this
> further but if someone is interested, it might worth to check what is
> available there and procure a few pieces for testing.

My guess is they're using DGPS. There are a number of known base
stations in South Korea.

I looked into this briefly, and it seems like you can use DGPS with
u-blox - all you have to do is send it RTCM messages. There's a list
of transmitters here:
http://www.ndblist.info/datamodes/worldDGPSdatabase.pdf (I'm guessing
these send RTCM, but it doesn't say so explicitly).

It also looks like you can get them over the 'net:
http://software.rtcm-ntrip.org/. And possibly other places.

This seems like something that wouldn't be too hard to add to the
u-blox support.