Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket

From: Florin Mingireanu
Subject: Re: [Paparazzi-devel] question about paparazzi on sounding rocket
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 00:47:52 +0200

Hello Marc,

Some experiments need to have a fixed reference and face certain directions. For these class of experiments a spinning sounding rocket is not suitable.

If I avoid using the paparazzi during boost phase (when the high acceleration occurs), could it work on the coasting phase, when the motor is off and the rocket basically goes up ballistically?
In that portion of the trajectory the acceleration is only produced by gravity and by the "decreasing" (due to the decrease in speed and air density) drag force.

I don't intend to go over 20.000 meters (20 km) so altitude should not be a problem. I know that there are GPS modules that stop working only when both altitude and velocity are above certain limits (18000 meters and ~500 mph). If only one (either velocity or altitude) is above the limit while the other one is below, then the GPS module would continue working.

Best regards,
Florin Mingireanu