Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR from shared libs.

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR from shared libs.
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 13:05:12 -0800

Setting the stack size for the threads created by the
IlmImf library seems to be the most satisfying approach.
No additional preprocessor or configure script magic
is necessary, and BSD gets better performance by
allocating AutoArrays on the stack instead of the heap.

Florian

darby johnston wrote:
--- Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden>
wrote:

If the crummy pre-processor define approach is to be
used, then all the *BSDs should be covered

Ok, did some searching and apparently the default
thread stack size has been a problem on freebsd
before:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-threads/2004-November/002699.html

The consensus seemed to be that they would raise the
default to be more in line with linux, but apparently
it's still not enough (looks like it's set to a
megabyte on my 32-bit test machine). Anyways, one of
the posts suggests the most portable way is to just
set the stack limit manually through the pthreads api:

pthread_attr_getstacksize()
pthread_attr_setstacksize()

I just tried this setting it to 2 megs, and the
confidence tests pass ok.

Darby