Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR Data Channel Configurations

From: Ciaran Wills
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR Data Channel Configurations
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 10:37:25 +0000

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 20:55, Angus Taggart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it common for facilities to create OpenEXR files that contain both
> standard RGBA data and auxiliary data channels (e.g. normal vector data
> and motion vector data)?  The reason that I ask is that the OpenEXR
> library provides specialized classes for handling scanline and tiled
> RGBA files and I was wondering what the recommended approach would be
> to handling files that contain RGBA+aux data.

Hi Angus,

We've started using 'fat' EXRs on some projects, mainly as it simplifies
the asset tracking and versioning process.  Our EXR Shake plugin lets
you choose which channels to load (defaulting to RGBA if they are
present).

I expect fat EXRs will become more common - several people here have
expressed a preference for working this way if all the relevant tools
support it.

Ciaran.