Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR Data Channel Configurations

From: piotr stanczyk
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR Data Channel Configurations
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:51:32 +0000

The idea is appealing, in that data is naturally bundled together and thus reduces organisational overheads. (it does present a downside in the I/O load on the network if you are moving stuff around).

As you know, :-), the limiting factor with Shake is a fixed number of channels allowed in which case the only sensible soln I can think of, when handling "non-trivial" exrs, is a user selection mechanism. [Something like "Auto", "Custom" radio buttons. Auto tries to work out how to best import the existing channels into Shake, Custom enables the user to enter a list of the channels they want.]

I seem to remember that Nuke was going to support an arbitrary number in an upcoming release (anyone know more about this?) in which case I imagine that the whole lot just pipes through ...

Piotr

BTW - Has anyone looked at the native exr support in OS X 10.4 Core Image?