Re: [Openexr-devel] CGW article

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] CGW article
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 10:28:11 -0700

Darrin Cardani wrote:

> I read the article on OpenEXR in this month's Computer Graphics
> World. In it, they showed an OpenEXR picture of Florian Kainz's
> office set to various exposures. In the text, he said that he made
> the image by combining regular 8-bit images together. Can anyone
> explain the process of doing that? I'm interested in how that would
> work.

To create the image in the CGW article, Rod Bogard and I used the
technique described in Debevec and Malik's paper SIGGRAPH 97 paper,
"Recovering High Dynamic Range Radiance Maps from Photographs".
The paper is available at http://www.debevec.org/Research/HDR/.
The office image is part of the OpenEXR source distribution; it
is in the IlmImfTest subdirectory.

Florian