Re: Plans for Octave 6.1 release

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Plans for Octave 6.1 release
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 18:04:49 -0800

On 12/10/2019 02:58 AM, Kai Torben Ohlhus wrote:
> Dear Rik,
> Your efforts for GNU Octave are really outstanding and I am very
> thankful that you managed the passed releases with lots of work,
> passion, and care for the details.  The same thanks go as well to many
> other contributors who almost every day ensure my "hg pull" command to
> grab fixes for bugs and many useful improvements for free (as in speech
> and beer) ;-)  Please resist from managing this release if your time is
> too limited.
>
> You and Markus already got things started.

I completed a grammar check and spell check of the documentation today.  I
marked those as done at
https://wiki.octave.org/6.1_Release_Checklist#Review_documentation.

>  Additionally, I overhauled
> the wiki [1] and hope to have introduced a useful "innovation" by using
> "clever" linking to Savannah to track the state of the bugs, rather than
> duplicating the data in a separate wiki page, that gets outdated too
> fast and is hard to maintain consistently.  In the past releases I
> quickly lost the overview with this approach.

Thank you, I think that system will work better than what we have had in
the past.

> After you raised the bar by your great work on the past releases, Rik, I
> think hardly anyone dares to step into your shoes ^^  By reviewing [1],
> I am able to perform most of the organizational steps myself.  Thus I
> hope others join into working on [1] until the bottom of that page is
> reached.
>
> When it comes to build release candidates, my machine is able to do
> this.  But I think jwe has to sign and upload these builds to [2], right?

Yes, he usually takes care of that and uploading them to alpha.gnu.org.

> My personal expectation is no 6.1 release before February 2020 [3].
Your probably right, but I will still hope for something in January.  Just
after New Year's the copyright statements could be updated which would make
a natural release point.

--Rik