Re: Plans for Octave 6.1 release

From: Pantxo
Subject: Re: Plans for Octave 6.1 release
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 11:48:33 -0600 (CST)

mmuetzel wrote
> Am 10. Dezember 2019 um 11:58 Uhr schrieb "Kai Torben Ohlhus":
>> My personal expectation is no 6.1 release before February 2020 [3].  But
>> as 5.1.0 is already long time ago, I vote for another 5.2.0 stable
>> release before Christmas, followed by efforts to release 6.1.0.  On the
>> stable branch, there are
>>
>>    hg log -r "release-5-1-0:" -b stable | grep "changeset" | wc -l
>>
>> 104 more or less important changes accumulated over 10 months users are
>> waiting for.  This stable release does not need that much effort [1], as
>> it is stable, and I can prepare the stable branch for 5.2.0.  Opinions?
>
> I personally don't know how I feel about a 5.2 release. There probably are
> bugs in the stable branch that haven't been there in Octave 5.1 and that
> have been fixed on the development branch only (e.g. bug #55908 [1]).
>
> We are not many developers. So I don't know whether we shouldn't better
> spend our limited time to get the default branch ready instead of fixing
> issues on the soon to be deprecated current stable branch.
> [1]: https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?55908

I second this opinion: I am in favor of focusing on Octave 6.1 and releasing
soon. This  will involve much testing, yes, but will avoid having to do the
job twice. Then, we can do a 6.2 release soon after 6.1 to fix critical
uncovered bugs.

As usual I won't be of any help in most repo. administration tasks, but I'll
do my best to help track regressions (in the graphics system at least).

Pantxo

--
Sent from: https://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Octave-Maintainers-f1638794.html