io-2.4.13 released

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: io-2.4.13 released
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 21:51:04 +0200

Hi,

There's a new release of the io package, io-2.4.13 [1]
It's primarily a bug fix release.

Please see the NEWS for what this new release brings [2]

For the Octave maintainers ML here's some extra info on the next plans for the io package, motivated by a question by Markus Muetzel about the status of the plans for moving spreadsheet I/O + XML functions to core Octave, partly or completely.

Well, whether that will ever happen, let alone whether it is still desired, is beyond me. Yet I do want to adapt the spreadsheet I/O functions code base to a much more easily maintainable status. A benefit is that it'll make it easier to move them to core some day, maybe.

An important part is merging the now largely separate ods????? and xls????? functions sets into just one xls????? function set and morphing the ods????? functions into wrappers for their xls????? counterparts and deprecate them. After all, Matlab's xlsread can perfectly read .ods these days and we do want to be compatible.
This way a lot of duplicate code can be eliminated.

A next step might be splitting up the OCT interface .xlsx and maybe .ods private functions into smaller dedicated pieces. However, .xlsx and .ods are very complicated file formats so maintaining these functions still won't be easy peasy.

Another wish is to adapt the current test scripts (a.o., test_spsh.m) to "regular" BIST tests as much as possible. More on that once I get there.

I'll plan to start a 2.6.x branch for these developments soon.

Anyway, enjoy.

Philip

[1] https://octave.sourceforge.io/io/index.html
[2] https://octave.sourceforge.io/io/NEWS.html