Re: Table I/O [WAS: io-2.4.13 released]

From: Andrew Janke
Subject: Re: Table I/O [WAS: io-2.4.13 released]
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 23:13:33 -0700

On 10/18/19 10:30 PM, Julien Bect wrote:
Le 18/10/2019 à 23:58, Andrew Janke a écrit :
This (no dedicated date or time type) is one of the reasons I left dates and
times aside for spreadsheet I/O. In fact, for file types and support
libraries that do offer date/time types I made the io package convert
date/time values into Octave datenums = doubles.

Tablicious provides a Matlab-compatible Octave @datetime class.

Hi Andrew,

How complete is this implementation of @datetime [1, 2] ?

If it is complete, perhaps could you already extract it from tablicious and propose it on the patch tracker for inclusion in Octave core ?

I'd say it's about 80% feature complete, and maybe 30% code complete. :) From the user's standpoint, about 80% of what you'd want to use it for works, though some of it is slow. But it still needs work to get that last 20% and improve its speed, and if I'm unlucky, that could necessitate big changes in the internals. And it has almost no unit tests.

So, it's not nearly ready to try donating to Octave core.

At some point, my goal is for the majority of Tablicious (@table, @timetable, @datetime, @duration, @categorical, @string, and friends) to all move in to Octave core. But that's a pretty long-term vision.

If you want to follow its development, related bugs and TODOs are tagged "chrono" in Tablicious' issue tracker: https://github.com/apjanke/octave-tablicious/labels/chrono.

And to see how far it is now, check the docs; I keep them pretty up to date.
* https://apjanke.github.io/octave-tablicious/doc/tablicious.html#Date_002fTime-Representation
* https://apjanke.github.io/octave-tablicious/doc/tablicious.html#datetime

Or at least as an independent Octave Forge package as a first step ?

I'm afraid not this either. It used to be its own separate package (called Chrono), but development of @datetime ended up being so closely tied to @table and @timetable, I decided to merge them to keep things workable for myself.

If you want to play with @datetime, just install the full Tablicious package: I'm trying to keep it easy to install and use, so aside from a few megs of disk space, it shouldn't cost you anything.

Cheers,
Andrew