Solaris 11 memory usage

From: Nestor Urquiza
Subject: Solaris 11 memory usage
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:41:37 -0400

Hi guys,

Since we went from Solaris 10 to 11 we have seen an increase monit alerts related to memory resource utilization. We used to get no alerts even when we set the memorty threshold really low, for example:

"...cpu system usage of 45.8% matches resource limit [cpu system usage>40.0%]"

We have incremented the threshold to 90% but still we get alerts.

Could it be that the way monit decides what is free memory in Solaris is incorrect when using ZFS http://serverfault.com/questions/378392/how-should-i-monitor-memory-usage-performance-in-sunos-solaris

We are running monit version 5.5 BTW which has been working fine for ages.

Perhaps version 5.9 has done something in that regard as I read the release notes ( http://mmonit.com/monit/changes/ ) are allowing to monitor generic device strings (not related really but worth to ask).

Thanks!

- Nestor