monit monitor <service> doesn't monitor depended upon checks

From: Alainkr
Subject: monit monitor <service> doesn't monitor depended upon checks
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 09:19:25 -0700 (MST)

Hello,

Using monit 5.4

I have a process check :
Process Name          = myappapi
 Group                = myappapi
 Pid file             = /home/myappapi/tomcat/tomcat.pid
 Monitoring mode      = manual
 Start program        = '/etc/init.d/myappapi start' timeout 60 second(s)
 Stop program         = '/etc/init.d/myappapi stop' timeout 60 second(s)
 Existence            = if does not exist 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then
restart else if succeeded 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then alert
 Pid                  = if changed 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then alert
 Ppid                 = if changed 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then alert
 CPU usage limit      = if greater than 80.0% 5 times within 5 cycle(s) then
alert else if succeeded 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then alert
 Timeout              = If restarted 5 times within 5 cycle(s) then
unmonitor

And a log file match check :

File Name             = myappgui-log
 Group                = myappgui
 Path                 = /home/myappgui/tomcat/logs/catalina.out
 Monitoring mode      = manual
 Existence            = if does not exist 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then
restart else if succeeded 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then alert
 Depends on Service   = myappgui
 Pattern              = if match "ERROR" 1 times within 1 cycle(s) then
alert
 Pattern              = if match "ERROR" 10 times within 10 cycle(s) then
unmonitor
 Pattern              = if match "OutOfMemoryError" 1 times within 1
cycle(s) then exec '/usr/bin/monit restart myappgui' timeout 0 cycle(s)
 Pattern              = if match "OutOfMemoryError" 3 times within 10
cycle(s) then unmonitor

Note that both are (thanks for you reply on that) in manual mode.

The problem is that due to monit start <service> not being synchronous I'm
using two commands :
monit unmonitor <service>
/etc/init.d/<service> stop

and the other way around for starting.

Problem is when doing unmonitoring the check that depends on the monitor is
also unmonitored but no whe monitoring.  Doing monit monitor <service> just
monitors the service and not the log check that depends on it.

I'm aware of -g option but if there's a way to avoid that i'd like to this
way I can use the ansible monit module (which handles omnipotence).

Thanks again for you help

Alain