monitoring a directory's used space

From: Adam Wolfe
Subject: monitoring a directory's used space
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:52:25 -0400

Is there any way to use monit to check a directory's used space? I see options for filesystem and individual files, but I need to monitor a directory's size (should be 0B).

Or, failing that, I need to simply know when there are files in a directory, then I use exec to place them on a server where clients/devs can get to.

Anyone have any advice?  I was using

"check filesystem with path /yada/yada
    if space usage > 0 B
    then alert
    then exec"

and that seemed to work but a "monit status" perpetually shows a failed check. It appears to be calculating the path leading up to the dir I am watching.

Again, just need to know when a file or files appear in a specific directory (that should always be empty) and then tun an exec.