Re: Force monitoring of service?

From: EzCom Keith
Subject: Re: Force monitoring of service?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 22:43:50 -0800

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Adam Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

A couple of the services I am monitoring often appear as 'not monitored' for some reason.  I am not sure why this is, as "monit monitor all" has no effect.

I never want monit to give up trying to start a service (as that kind of defeats the purpose of using monit in the first place) so is there any way to force a service to always be monitored no matter what?

Thanks,
Adam.

Monit cannot monitor a dead service, so there's no forcing that issue. That's like trying to force a medical
heartbeat monitor to continue to give you the heart rate and pulse of a dead patient.

Monit MUST at some point give up trying to re-start a service that refuses. That condition is an indication
that something is VERY wrong with either the service core, it's dependencies, or some other environmental
condition that Monit cannot be aware of, or have any control over. You can have Monit monitor these other
items, and you might find the problem, or get a hint as to what it might be.

In short, the service you are monitoring should be healthy to begin with. Monit is there for the freak or
occasional service crash. It's not designed to trouble shoot anything, nor 'force' anything.

- Keith