Re: What does this error really mean?

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: What does this error really mean?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:41:42 +0200

On 18. okt. 2005, at 02.05, Ben Hartshorne wrote:

I've got this error sprinkled through my logs.  I'm curious what it
actually means.

GENERIC: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable

At what point did the test fail?  Did it...
*

It means that the connection end-point (the server) did not provide data when monit was trying to read. It may help if you increase the connection timeout from the default which is 5 sec.

Here's the relevant section of the monit config file:

check host Google with address www.google.com
        start program = "/bin/true"
        stop program = "/bin/true"
        if 3 restarts within 4 cycles then timeout
      if failed url http://www.google.com/
              then restart

This error should come from a send/expect statement, are sure you don't have one of those in your config file?

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255