Re: What does this error really mean?

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: What does this error really mean?
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 23:48:16 +0200

On 18. okt. 2005, at 18.59, Ben Hartshorne wrote:

The previous section generated:

HTTP: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable

Does that error mean basically the same thing (that the connection
endpoint did not send data that monit was expecting to recieve), but
over HTTP instead of send/expect?

Yes. Typically this will happen if the server shutdown a connection or refuse to send any data. A very busy (HTTP) server can do that.

How is this different from the "service timed out" error?

This is not necessarily a connection error, but from the service timeout statement (see http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/ manual.php#service_timeout). It basically means (as you probably know) that monit had to restart a service to many time within a period.

Does one imply that it was never able to connect, and the other that a connection
was made but not completed?

The "error receiving data" error imply, as you assume, that a connection was successfully made, but that data transfer failed for some reason. If a connection should fail, you will see this explicit in the log as "failed, cannot open a connection to..".

Both of these scenarios are different from
getting the wrong data, right?

The error messages discussed here are from the TCP stack and has nothing to do with the overlying protocol tested.

I'm getting these Resource temporarily unavailable errors in the middle of the night (my tests go over a local ethernet network). I'm really not
sure why they're occuring.

Cant help you there. Maybe a DHCP lease going south or whatnot. It should also be noted that the way monit currently read a line from a socket is by reading one-by-one byte, which may be vulnerable if the network is a bit shaky. I have updated the latest CVS to fix this. It may or may not help. I would be interested to know _if_ it helped though.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255