Re: AssertException in process_common.c [resurrecting old thread]

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: AssertException in process_common.c [resurrecting old thread]
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 21:31:42 +0100

Hi,

i have tested it but it works on my station (debian 3.1) without problems.

I have tried following configuration:

--8<--
set daemon 5
set logfile /var/log/monit
check file slapd_rc path /etc/init.d/slapd
  if timestamp > 5 hours then exec "/bin/echo"
--8<--

within following tests:

1.) compile monit-4.4 on system running kernel 2.4.27, then test it on system running kernel 2.4.27
status: OK

2.) compile monit-4.4 on system running kernel 2.4.27, then test it on system running kernel 2.6.10
status: OK

3.) compile monit-4.4 on system running kernel 2.6.10, then test it on system running kernel 2.6.10
status: OK

Then i tried the same tests with actual cvs version of monit - again without problems. It seems that the problem depends on some special condition which i'm not able to recreate.

I have created cvs snapshot of current monit version for you - you can find it here:
http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/dist/snapshot/monit-4.5-cvs20050106.tar.gz

Please compile it and try to run with verbose option (-v). You can also use -I option to run monit in the foreground (you will see messages directly on console).

Thanks,
Martin

Allen Shaw wrote:
Hi Folks,

Over two months ago I got suggestions from the list on this issue and then failed to follow up. I'm posting here my followups and the current status, hoping to get some clues on where to go next.

The original post is below, and for refershers the issue is like this:
 Our sysadmin recently upgraded the kernel and restarted, after which
 I didn't start monit for a couple of weeks until now. Now, monit
 fails to start, citing an AssertException in process_common.c. Here's
 the log:
> [CDT Oct 14 10:01:37] Starting monit daemon with http interface at
[*:2812]
> [CDT Oct 14 10:01:37] Starting monit HTTP server at [*:2812]
> [CDT Oct 14 10:01:37] monit HTTP server started
> [CDT Oct 14 10:01:37] AssertException: at process/process_common.c:191
> aborting..

This originally happened with existing version 4.2, and continued even with a fresh build of version 4.4.

Martin suggested it might be race condition and asked to see the .monitrc file. To be sure, I trimmed the .monitrc down to bare bones -- here it is:

 set logfile /var/log/monit

 # freshclam check file
 clam-update.log with path /var/log/clam-update.log if timestamp 5
 hours then exec "/usr/local/bin/freshclam -d -c 6 -l
 /var/log/clam-update.log"

With this bare-bones file the error logged is simply one line:
 [CDT Jan 4 13:49:57]
 > AssertException: at process/process_common.c:191
 aborting..

Finally, Martin provided through CVS a patch for more verbose error logging. However, I seem to be having trouble getting past the cvs password prompt. Instructions at http://savannah.nongnu.org/cvs/?group=monit say "When prompted for a password for /anoncvs/, simply press the Enter key." but I may be doing something wrong as pressing Enter just gets me a "Permission denied. Please try again." message and another password prompt. Hrmm...

Thanks for any help or clues you can offer.

Martin Pala wrote:

 Hi,

 i have added more verbose error logging to monit. Please check out
 the current monit version from cvs using:

 export CVS_RSH="ssh" cvs -z3
 -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/monit co monit

 (run monit in debug mode during test via '-v' option)

 Thanks :) Martin

 Allen Shaw wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> Our sysadmin recently upgraded the kernel and restarted, after
> which I didn't start monit for a couple of weeks until now.
Now,
> monit fails to start, citing an AssertException in
> process_common.c. Here's the log:
>

>> [CDT Oct 14 10:01:37] Starting monit daemon with http
interface
>> at [*:2812]
>
>> [CDT Oct 14 10:01:37] Starting monit HTTP server at
[*:2812] [CDT
>> Oct 14 10:01:37] monit
HTTP server started [CDT Oct 14
10:01:37]
>> AssertException: at
process/process_common.c:191 aborting..

> System is Linux 2.6.8.1-RH192.
>
> I'm guessing I will need to debug this with strace or gdb, but
can
> someone help me with the output and/or other details?
> (Alternatively, I could just be a bonehead and be doing
something
> wrong, but in this case at least it doesn't seem so.)
>
> Thanks much, Allen

Allen Shaw IIFWP Data and 914.631.1331 x.106
    IT Services                        http://www.iifwp.org