Re: [Patch] Proc support for monit (preliminary, alpha^2)

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: Re: [Patch] Proc support for monit (preliminary, alpha^2)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:34:56 +0200 (CEST)

On 9 Aug 2002, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

(...)

> > but it seems like working within a maintained framework that already
> > does a lot of the stuff you need would be more productive (even if you
> > keep a private copy of libwhatever in the monit distribution).
>
> I haven't had time to check out libgtop or Christians code, but what
> Mark says here makes sense. As I said before libgtop is GPL and we
> could do some creative cut-and-paste, and clean up the code in the
> process if it's to ugly.

(-:

> I know too little about libgtop (anyone have an official url?) but
> iff[2] it support, Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD it should be worth
> looking at, or what do you think Christian? At least, maybe you will
> find out how to do this on FreeBSD and merge the code into your new
> codebase.

I am constantly reading other code to implement that feature.  But
libgtop helped me the least for Solaris/Linux.  For FreeBSD it's gonna
be a good start.  But most probably I gonna work again with the ps and
top source to find my way.  Their code is a different way of ugly but
more appealing to me. (-:

> 1. Facade as in the Facade Design Pattern from the GoF book, but I
> guess I don't have to tell you guys that :)

But for me!  I am an Process Engineer, not Computer Scientist. (-:

> 2. I vaguely recall from the formal program verification class at the
> university, that iff means "if and only if", but that's about all I
> can remember from that class :)

Maybe, it was also mentioned in a class about "pipes and pumps". (-:

Bye,

Christian

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113