Re: [Patch] Proc support for monit (preliminary, alpha^2)

From: Mark Ferlatte
Subject: Re: [Patch] Proc support for monit (preliminary, alpha^2)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 14:38:13 -0700

begin  Christian Hopp quote on Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 11:22:25PM +0200:
> > Note that while FreeBSD has a procfs, it's very rarely mounted.  The BSD
> > tools generally prefer to poke around in /dev/kmem.
>
> So why does Solaris, which also is an ancestor of the BSD family.

<shrug/> I have no idea; I don't keep up on Solaris much these days. But
Solaris is not BSD based anymore AFAIK; as of SunOS 5.x (aka Solaris
2.x) they switched to System V, with BSD compatibility hackery slung off
the side. <http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q1.4>

SunOS 4 was a decendent of the BSD family, not an ancestor.

FreeBSD doesn't depend upon procfs or kernfs being mounted for any of
it's utilities to work, so if you want monit to be useful on that
platform, you can't use a proc-style interface.

> Monit should not depend on other libraries like libgtop.  Anyways I read
> though the code of libgtop and it doesn't look nice.  I need to have
> some specific data for monit, which libgtop does not provide.

I can see your argument for not depending on other libraries (barely),
but it seems like working within a maintained framework that already
does a lot of the stuff you need would be more productive (even if you
keep a private copy of libwhatever in the monit distribution).  But hey,
it's not my code at all; I just wanted to give you a heads up about the
BSD issue.