Re: [Mldonkey-users] Are we already banned from emule?

From: Traumflug
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Are we already banned from emule?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:48:18 +0200

Am 15.07.2004 um 04:14 schrieb Rainer Krauss:

When mldonkey finds a source all still goes well, so there is no limit of download speed - but most emule sources seem to ignore me and never send anything.

Does emule ban mldonkey allready because of the trouble lately? Or are there some new "timings" for bans in newer emule versions, i need to change some settings for?

It's a principal problem of eMule, MLdonkey etc. they ban for all sorts of "mis"behaviour. They ban for a slow connection, the ban for leechers, they ban unresponsive clients, they ban clients sending damaged packets, they ban, ban, ban ...

As a result, I have more then 50% overhead traffic and can't even exhaust my tiny 64kbit connection. Neither in upload nor in download direction.

Instead of banning downloads, they should try to _enhance_ downloads:

There's no need to ban slow connections. A slow connection is better than no connection at all.

There's no need to ban leechers. A client not sending data back doesn't get much data sent. That easy. See how BitTorrent works.

There's no need to ban unresponsive clients, they use no bandwidth.

There's no need to ban clients sending bad packets since in most cases, the user doesn't even know about the bad packet. Other packets from this client might be great. Implement some logic to recover the situation on both clients, instead.

Have fun,
Traumflug