Re: [Mldonkey-users] emules rank positions

From: fr1end4u
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] emules rank positions
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:31:12 +0100

Christian Loitsch wrote:

I am downloading a rare file and have only 3 sources.  With all of them
I start at position over 100 (sometimes even over 1000), come down to 5
or even less, and the next time I look I am back at over 100.

First of all: If all of the following is complete BS, please tell me. But perhaps it may be of some help.

I observed the same thing. Looking at the emule sources, i found that, if a client reaches the top position in the queue and isn't actually connected, emule does a "callback" and sends an unrequested AvailableSlotReq. I wondered if MLDonkey can handle this and captured this callback using ethereal. And to me, it really looks like MLDonkey terminated the connection as soon as it receives the unexpected AvailableSlotReq. So emule doesn't start uploading...

To be sure, i captured this three times, and it seems that this always ends up the way i described above.

What i captured can be found here (in libpcap format, captured using ethereal 0.9.7):

http://www.productive-networks.de/emule-callback.tar.gz

What do you think?

Regards
fr1end4u