Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Idea: limiting the port rnage mldonkey uses

From: mlist . mldonkey . users
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Idea: limiting the port rnage mldonkey uses
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:46:32 -0800

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 09:54:33PM +0100, Nacho Ruiz wrote:

> > The short answer is to use the mldonkey monitor itself.
> > It isn't entirely accurate, but it does give a feel for the raw
> > upload and download traffic.
> >

>   which monitor? vd command?

Good question!  I just use the web interface.  I never learned
the syntax of the text interface outputs.

>   the actual transfer rate, to pass the results to, i.e., mrtg.
>
>   $IPT -N mld
>   $IPT -A mld -j ACCEPT
>
>   $IPT -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 4661:4664 -j mld
>   $IPT -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 12576 -j mld
>
>   $IPT -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 4661:4664 -j mld
>   $IPT -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 12576 -j mld
>
>   then you can parse the output of the command
>   iptables -nL -v -x | grep mld
>
>   and get the bytes from the second column to get the INPUT traffic and the
>   OUTPUT traffic..but I think thise bytes are the accumulative count of the
>   transfer rates, not the actual Kb/s...

Yes, this is cumulative byte traffic from the time
that the chain is established (or zeroed out).  If you want
a running average, try this:

  $ iptables -Z; sleep 100; iptables -nxvL > /tmp/out

then scale your numbers as appropriate.

What I've found is that mldonkey is pretty smart
about prioritizing packets if max_hard_upload is set: outgoing
data packets will be squelched if queue requests are still pending.
Try this:

  $ iptables -N esel_ack
  $ iptables -N esel_ctl
  $ iptables -N esel_data

  $ iptables [MLDONKEY PATTERNS] -m length --length :64 -j esel_ack
  $ iptables [MLDONKEY PATTERNS] -m length --length 65:1200 -j esel_ctl
  $ iptables [MLDONKEY_PATTERNS] -m length --length 1201: -j esel_data

The packet and byte counts reported can be quite interesting...

Carl