Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Win XP support (was: Error building mxe/src/g

From: Nagaev Boris
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Win XP support (was: Error building mxe/src/gtk2-test.c)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 10:35:50 +0000

On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Tony Theodore <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On 9 Dec 2014, at 21:43, Alex Zelid <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a way to tell mingw-w64 that the minimal supported WinApi should be
>> targeted to Windows XP?
>
> That raises the larger question - should we continue to support XP at all
> given that MS no longer does? In general, we’d support something until it
> becomes too much of a resource burden. In the case of XP though, I think we
> should discourage it’s continued use - even if it’s technically simple to do
> so.

I think, XP should be supported. Moreover, if it’s technically simple
to support it.

Reasons:
1. XP is simplest Windows to install on Virtual Machine.
2. Windows exe files (both 32 bit and 64 bit are compatible across all
versions of Windows starting from XP.
3. And from my point of view, XP was the best Windows ever, and all
subsequent versions of Windows were attempts to recover power of XP.
4. The only reason MS stopped support of XP is money they get selling
new versions of Windows.

Best regards,
Boris Nagaev