Re: make/tests issues

From: J. Grant
Subject: Re: make/tests issues
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:57:42 +0000

Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:35:42 -0500
From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>

%% "J. Grant" <address@hidden> writes:

  jg> Ok, I think running something like:

  jg> "tr -d \r <comments.log >normalised_comments.log"

  jg> on each output file would mean the diff comparisons would be able
  jg> to use the normal LF format files included in the distribution.
  jg> Could something like this be added?

Well, that's not very portable.  It obviously won't work on Windows
ports without any sort of UNIX emulation, at the very least.

Why is there a need for this?  The Make test suite calls "diff -c" to
compare the expected output with the actual one; a well-ported Diff
will compare two files which are identical except for the Unix- vs
Wndows-style end-of-line format issue as being identical.  Why doesn't
it happen in the OP's case?

Using the w32 native build of make produces an exe which outputs in CRLF
format.  I ran the tests using MSYS/rxvt.  GNU diff v2.7 compares the
base file with the log and sees the difference.   I don't think there is
a way to turn off CRLF/LF distinction in GNU diff.  So we need to find a
way to make the text use the same line-endings.  Or use a diff that does
not treat line-endings as different.

As an alternative there could be a script to convert all the base files
to CRLF format.

I did not receive Paul's email yet which you replied to.

Regards

JG