Re: make/tests issues

From: J. Grant
Subject: Re: make/tests issues
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:08:16 +0000

on the 06/03/04 15:34, Paul D. Smith wrote:
I agree with Eli that we shouldn't need special handling in the
regression tests.  There are three tools involved: make, perl, and diff.
Perl writes the base file, make writes the log file, and diff compares
them.  As long as the first two use the same line ending method, diff
should have no issue regardless of whether it's CRLF or LF.

How does perl write the base files?  I did not spot any code that does
this.

So, the question is why does make write newlines one way when it writes
"\n", and Perl write newlines the other way when _it_ writes "\n"?

As make is compiled by me with MSVC6 as a "win32 console application" it
be using the CRLF console output format used on MS-Windows.

And, is there any way to get Perl to use the same line ending method as
make?

Wherever perl is writing these base files it just needs to write "\r\n".
This could be based on an "if($windows32)" check or so.  I am not clear
where the base processing is though.

Regards

JG