lmi

Re: [lmi] PATCH: Submodule changes

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] PATCH: Submodule changes
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 14:27:08 +0200

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 17:55:30 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

GC> On 2020-10-09 16:40, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> > On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 16:05:32 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
GC> [...]
GC> > GC> Pushing now...
GC> >
GC> >  Thanks, I've updated https://github.com/vadz/lmi/pull/158 on top of it.
GC>
GC> This web-based stuff makes me think of Clarke's "Childhood's End",
GC> where people born before a certain date never manage to meld with
GC> the Overmind. (You may not watch as many Belarusian movies as I do,
GC> but surely you've read that book.)

 Yes, this is not poetry, after all...

GC> Maybe you guys can use github's web interface to make the moon spin,

 Strangely enough, I never use GitHub web UI. Even though I believe that
most people do use it and only use it, i.e. they just press the big green
"Merge" button (which you probably don't see, due to not having an account)
to merge the PRs.

GC> but for the rest of us...having done this:
GC>
GC>   $git remote add shangri-la https://github.com/thesiv/lmi.git
GC>   $git fetch shangri-la
GC>   $git show 5e813dee9c3fa73
GC>
GC> I can just start cherry-picking at 5e813dee9c3fa73, right? I.e.,
GC> what you rebased is Ilya's github repository, not your own, so
GC>   github.com/vadz/lmi/pull/158
GC> really refers to
GC>   github.com/thesiv/lmi.git
GC> ?

 Yes, sorry, this was Ilya's PR originally, so I've just modified it in
place instead of creating my own one. I can create a branch in vadz/lmi
repository if you'd prefer.

 But in any case, right now you don't need to cherry-pick anything: you can
just fast-forward to this branch, i.e.

        $ git merge --ff-only shangri-la/ci-linux

Please make sure to redo "git fetch shangri-la" first, however, as there
has been another tiny update to this branch, so its tip has changed.

 And, of course, if you do make any other commits to master, fast
forwarding won't work and in this case you would indeed need to

        $ git cherry-pick ..shangri-la/ci-linux

(you still don't need/shouldn't have to use explicit SHA-1).

 Regards,
VZ