lmi

Re: [lmi] pre-wx-2.9.5 appearance changes

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] pre-wx-2.9.5 appearance changes
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 00:11:37 +0000

On 2013-07-14 16:19Z, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 16:06:10 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

> GC> [...]
> GC> >  I'll build LMI itself tomorrow and see if I at least the problem there.
> GC> > Do I understand correctly that you are testing under Windows XP with
> visual
> GC> > themes disabled?
> GC>
> GC> I wasn't sure what "themes" are, but I looked into it a little.
> GC> In "Display Properties", "Theme" is "Windows XP (Modified)".
>
>  Thanks, I was wrong about themes being disabled, the real reason for the
> themeless-looking buttons was the lack of manifest that I subsequently
> discovered. The confusing thing is that *all* of the possible cases are all
> subtly different:
>
> 1. Application with a manifest running on a system with themes enabled.
> 2. Application with a manifest running on a system with themes disabled.
> 3. Application for which theming was explicitly disabled in its
>    "Properties" dialog using the "Disable visual themes" checkbox on the
>    "Compatibility" page of the dialog.
> 4. Application without the manifest.
>
>  With the latest fixes, the toolbar buttons appear correctly in the cases
> (1), (2) and (3) under both Windows XP and 7 (I assume Vista and 8 work too
> because there are no significant differences with 7 in this area but I
> didn't test them yet) and it's only the case (4) that is problematic -- but
> it doesn't occur for LMI and I see no reason for not including the manifest
> intentionally, so I think in practice the problem is fully fixed.

I rebuilt lmi with the 'wxWidgets-2013-07-14.tar.gz' snapshot.
Grayed toolbar buttons are the same as with the earlier snapshot,
and not as attractive as with wx-2.9.3 . I tried (3) above, and
it has no effect on the buttons.

Must we therefore create and distribute an msw manifest, which
we've never done before? Can you provide an example we can test?

Or should I try the 2013-07-15 wx snapshot, which I suppose will
appear in about twenty-five minutes?