lmi

Re: [lmi] using standard icon sizes and wxArtProvider

From: Vaclav Slavik
Subject: Re: [lmi] using standard icon sizes and wxArtProvider
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 19:01:19 +0200

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 16:02 +0000, Greg Chicares wrote:
> Again quoting your suggestion:
> > I think it would be best for me to do this myself
> let me ask whether there's anything else you want to do other than
> the three steps you listed:

No, this is all that's needed. We may want to replace some of the icons
with higher quality versions with antialiasing, but we can do that later
as the next step -- especially when this turned out to be more urgent
than I thought.

> If you really prefer to run those commands and send me a patch, then
> I guess I won't object; but probably I can do that as easily myself.
> The real work is making sure everything is correct: for instance,
>  - #include "foo.xpm" // For X, I guess?
>  + #include "foo.png"
> would apparently be a mistake.

The only such inclusion was in main_wx.cpp, for !MSW platforms, and I
replaced that with loading the icon from lmi.png file (having the icon
embedded has the advantage that it is guaranteed to be present, but if
the data files cannot be found, you have much worse problems than the
purely cosmetic one of missing wxFrame icon).

> > 3. Apply the patch below to remove XPMs stuff from makefiles and
> >    sources.
> [...]
> > I would appreciate your review of
> > the patch from step 3. and its test_coding_rules* part in particular.
>
> Okay, I'll do that soon.

Thanks!

> As for step (1) and anything else that you propose to do yourself,
> let me ask whether you can conveniently do it all now.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my message: I already did all that in my
local copy. What I meant was that it would be simpler for me to check
these mostly trivial changes in myself [1], instead of sending you a mix
of patches, new binary files and instructions that you'd have to "apply"
manually (because I can't make a self-contained patch for this).

[1] Once you confirm the tests changes are correct and complete -- the
makefile updates are, I believe, trivial and obviously OK. Or I could
commit only the minimal possible code changes needed (i.e. a mall chunk
in main_wx.cpp) right now and leave the tests removal for later (or
you), if you prefer.

> It would be easier to make all the XPM to PNG changes first,

OK.

> and I certainly don't want to invalidate
> any patch you're working on by restructuring the html immediately.

That wouldn't be a problem for me, all my changes to the HTML files are
repeatable using the sed command above.

Regards,
Vaclav